HOST EMPLOYER GUIDANCE: ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS TO HIRE A J-1 INTERN/TRAINEE
Infinity Abroad assists qualified candidates in Malaysia & Singapore in obtaining visa sponsorship for the J-1 Internship & Training USA program.
Employers looking to host J-1 intern or trainees must meet eligibility requirements set by the U.S. Department of State.
Here is a quick summary:
- J-1 internships & training programs are intended to provide work-based training in an eligible field, enabling candidates to enhance their skills and prepare for their future careers. These programs may NOT be used for ordinary employment purposes or to fill a labor need.
- Employers must comply with federal, state and local labor and occupational health and safety laws, including compensation for interns.
- Candidates hired for more than 6 months must be paid at least the state minimum wage.
- Provide full-time (32-45hrs per week) professional, office-based training with no more than 20% clerical or basic work. Home-based businesses are not permitted.
- Develop an internship or training program, as outlined in the DS-7002 Training/Internship Placement Plan, that allows candidates to obtain skills, knowledge, and competencies through structured and guided training provided by U.S. employees who are qualified in the candidates’ fields.
- There must be at least 5 full-time employees to 1 J-1 intern/trainee to ensure adequate supervision and training.
- Be in business and operational for at least 6 months.
- Have an English-language website and a company-based email addresses.
- Consent to a site visit by the candidate’s visa sponsor, if required. This rule is mandatory for businesses with fewer than 25 full-time employees, and less than $3 million in revenue.
- Agree to provide mandatory evaluations and to notify the applicant’s program sponsor in case of any changes to the applicant’s program or emergencies.
Employers must provide the following paperwork/documentation:
- Proof of a workers’ compensation policy or equivalent insurance that covers J-1 participants (or proof of exemption).
- Either a DUNS number or copy of your business registration.
- A Federal Identification Number.
IS MY INDUSTRY ELIGIBLE?
Infinity Abroad assists applicants in the following fields:
- Arts & Culture
- Information Media and Communications
- Management, Business, Commerce and Finance
- Public Administration and Law
- The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial Occupations
- Hospitality and Tourism
Click here for the full list of approved training fields.
WHAT TYPES OF TRAINING ARE PROHIBITED?
Click here for a list of prohibited activities for J-1 Intern/Trainees.
Have a question? Contact Infinity Abroad for assistance.